Re: Theological Implications of Origins

Stephen Jones (sjones@iinet.com.au)
Sun, 11 Jun 95 17:58:19 EDT

Denis

On Wed, 7 Jun 1995 18:44:08 -0500 (CDT) you wrote:

>The various models of creation leave out one possibility:
>
>Genesis One as a literary structure that is not "about" chronology at all.
>see S. Jaki _Genesis One Through the Ages_, Charles Hummel _Galileo
>Connection_

While models of creation and Genesis 1 are not necessarily the same
thing, I agree that Genesis 1 may not be about chronology. The sun
being set up as timekeeper on day 4 (half-way through the 6 creative
days), seems to indicate that.

In a sermon I heard once on Genesis 1 once, a former Pastor claimed
that Genesis 1 was not primarily about creation, but was more about
God.

I think the problem is us 20th century men. We are obsessed about
time and we think that 50th century BC man was too. I tend to think
that ancient man was more interested in the fact that God had brought
order out of chaos and set up boundaries that prevented chaos
returning:

(Job 38:8-11 "Who shut up the sea behind doors when it burst forth
from the womb, when I made the clouds its garment and wrapped it in
thick darkness, when I fixed limits for it and set its doors and bars
in place, when I said, 'This far you may come and no farther; here is
where your proud waves halt'?)

than he was about whether God took 24 hours for each day.

God bless.