Re: selection program

Brian D. Harper (bharper@postbox.acs.ohio-state.edu)
Wed, 31 May 1995 16:26:06 -0400

Glenn wrote:

> By the way, Brian Harper, are your there? I am still interested in any
>comments you might have on the last two programs as well as this one.

I'm still here, kind of, hiding from students and trying to survive
the end of the quarter crush. :-)

I hope to write some things about your programs soon.

In the mean time, I thought I would mention a couple of nice
cellular automata (CA) programs that can be obtained by anonymous
ftp from:

cam8.math.wisc.edu directory /pub

the programs to get are

capow1_0.zip and winlife.zip

both are MS Windows programs. winlife is Conway's "game of life"
that I mentioned previously while CApow is a flexible 1-D CA
program with lots of nice features.

Just in case no one has mentioned it yet (I haven't been reading
too closely), there is an article (rather critical) on complexity
research in the June '95 Scientific American

"From Complexity to Perplexity" -- John Horgan

The cover "headline" reads "Is complexity a sham?".

Watch out Glenn, the evil forces of reductionism are taking aim :-)

Brian Harper | "Do not conclude from your apprenticeship |
| that you have nothing left to learn" -- Pascal |