Re: Scientific theory

From: Don Winterstein <dfwinterstein@msn.com>
Date: Wed Dec 22 2004 - 05:45:45 EST

Don't know about that azalea case. Darwin's observations of finches and their geographic isolation's leading to speciation on the various Galapagos islands helped to generate his views on origin of species.

The Web site
http://www.abdn.ac.uk/zoohons/lecture5/sld001.htm<http://www.abdn.ac.uk/zoohons/lecture5/sld001.htm>
discusses the Galapagos finches (and certain birds of Hawaii). A quote from that site: "...In 1837 [Darwin] began his notebook on the "Transmutation of Species" with a special reference to: the character of South American fossils and species on the Galapagos Archipelago. These facts (especially the latter) origin all my views."

Don