Re: Scientific theory

From: Don Winterstein <dfwinterstein@msn.com>
Date: Thu Dec 09 2004 - 06:40:44 EST

 Rich, when you say, "Dogs have been bred (artificially selected) long enough to have displayed the tremendous variety that evolution is capable of," I don't think you really mean that. Archaeopterix vs marmot exhibits less variety than Bloodhound vs Toy poodle? Dog breeding has generated relatively big changes in a short time, but such changes just show the flexibility of the genetic code. If I did not already accept evolution, I'd not consider this illustration from human-controlled breeding to shed any light on the big changes seen in the fossil record. Everybody's already aware of substantial variations even among humans, but those who don't accept evolution aren't going to interpret these variations as an indication that humans are going to turn into some other kind of animal. And that kind of change is the sort of thing that these people have been told about and are interested in: "man from ape." Can you make dog variations seem relevant to someone who doesn't accept evolution?

Don:
It's useful in discussing this topic in a religious context to distinguish evolution as fact from evolution as mechanism.

rich:
A mechanism is not a fact?

DW: Not to me. The proposed mechanisms have never been shown to do what is claimed for them. Their principal support comes from plausibility arguments.

Don:
First of all, since we're talking science, any proposed mechanism must exclude God as a direct cause, because science as we practice it deals only with physical causes.

rich:
The physical world is not a manifestation of God? How could God ever be excluded?

DW: We're talking about how we practice science here. Name me one article in a respectable scientific journal that invokes God as a direct cause. Formal scientific intercourse in our world excludes God as a cause--except metaphorically, as in "God doesn't throw dice." That's how God could ever be (and is) excluded.

Rich: You see, my problem is that I accept that all of the physical world is a manifestation of God,
so I don't have any trouble seeing God at work, remarks like "the created world is not competent enough" don't strike me as useful. I do have a problem with God being outside the universe looking down and dropping a hand in and managing the marionettes once in awhile, that may be a nice metaphor, but I think it is completely unreligious and unscientific at the same time. Is there a Christian view of God the Father that is more specific than He is "ineffable?"

DW: I agree that the physical world witnesses of God--but it's not without its shortcomings. There's an old saying that the gods mess up anything that's close to perfection so that it can't compete with them for glory. The physical world, I think, is a few degrees less competent than God himself. It's a thing, and God is a person. As for the marionettes--while I dislike that metaphor, it's a major theme of the Bible from one end to the other: God from time to time injects himself into human affairs in special ways to change things. While the Bible may be unscientific, I can't accept that it's "completely unreligious." And what's science got to do with it?

Matter of fact, now that I think about it, while "ineffable" might sound like a good word for God, it's not a word to my knowledge that has much currency in old-time Christianity. The NT doesn't use it. It means, "too overwhelming to be expressed or described in words" (Webster). Christianity has used lots of words to describe God's actions on behalf of his people. "Loving" is common. Wouldn't that be more appropriate? God is interested in establishing relationships.

Don