Re: Scientific theory

From: <Dawsonzhu@aol.com>
Date: Wed Dec 08 2004 - 03:21:46 EST

Dave Siemens wrote:
>Raphanobrassica was a new genus produced some time back. Also, there are
>many tetraploids which cannot be fertilized by their parents or vice
>versa. So they qualify as new species under strict standards. While the
>molecular clock does not keep exact time, now that we have information on
>numerous genomes or parts of genomes, we have clear indications that what
>was predicted from structure matches what is found in inheritance.
>Evidence mounts.

Perhaps that might qualify as a transition. But I do
think there are some issues with semantics here.

With respect to connecting the criminal with the crime
(if you will), my vote would surely be "guilty". There
are enough smoking guns around to supply an army.

However, in terms of making a prediction about where
evolution might be going, it is less clear how to
analyze this. Probably the best indications are
virii (viruses), where, for example, SARS involves a
virus that has crossed the species barrier or AIDS
where there are now several strains of HIV. Another
is bacteria where we now have some varieties that
are highly resistant to penicillin and many other
drugs as well.

Perhaps one might be able to use a genetic algorithm
to predict how a particular bacterium will try to adapt
to a particular drug. Indeed, that might be a very
good way to finally obliterate some pests, but the
more guns you put on those things, the more unpredictable
the result may be. Perhaps what would be more effective in
pest control is to drive the pest in a direction of becoming
more benign rather than trying to obliterate them.

Wayne