RE: The wee people

From: Glenn Morton <glennmorton@entouch.net>
Date: Sun Oct 31 2004 - 08:17:11 EST

-----Original Message-----
From: jack syme [mailto:drsyme@cablespeed.com]
Sent: Saturday, October 30, 2004 11:07 PM
To: jack syme; Glenn Morton; asa@calvin.edu
Subject: Re: The wee people

> So, if you want to argue that neuronal plasticity, and redundancy of
hemispheric function make EQ of 4 or greater
>enough to exhibit spirituality then ok, but I dont think that is a
valid comparison.

>You have said that you dont think it is an epiphenomenon of brain size,
but you seem to say that an EQ of 4 is
>necessary. Why is that?

I haven't said that, either of them. What I have said is
"We know that some of those children who have had half their brain
removed and who are normally intelligent have EQs of around 4, so from
at least 4 on, it is possible to have an intelligent being." 10/30/2004
8:12 pm

I didn't say it was necessary. Why is it that people read words into my
posts that I didn't write? Obviously I must be communicating poorly.
Never did I say that an EQ of 4 or greater was enough to illustrate
spirituality.

Let's take this guy. His brain, according to my calculations is about
108 cc volume. That is the size of a rheusus monkey! Yet he is normally
intelligent (maybe a bit above average).

""'There's a young student at this university,"" says Lorber, 'who has
an IQ
of 126, has gained a first-class honors degree in mathematics, and is
socially completely normal. And yet the boy has virtually no brain.'
The
student's physician at the university noticed that the youth had a
slightly larger than normal head, and so referred him to Lorber, simply
out of interest. 'When we did a brain scan on him,' Lorber recalls, 'we

saw that instead of the normal 4.5-centimeter thickness of brain tissue
between the ventricles and the cortical surface, there was just a thin
layer of mantle measuring a millimeter or so. His cranium is filled
mainly with cerebrospinal fluid."" ~Roger Lewin, ""Is Your Brain Really
Necessary,"" Science, Dec. 12,1980, p. 1232.

His EQ is somewhere around .41 if he weighs 100 kg. That puts him
somewhere around the level of the rabbit.

The equation for EQ is EQ=brain weight/0.12(body weight)^0.66)

So, please disabuse yourself of the notion that I think a certain level
of EQ is requisite for spirituality and intelligence.