Re: The wee people

From: jack syme <drsyme@cablespeed.com>
Date: Sun Oct 31 2004 - 00:06:44 EDT

MessageI really should spell check these things for typos.

I know plausible is plausible, ;)

But one other comment on encephalization quotients. There is a large portion of the brain that is there just to "run the machinery". The larger the machine is, the larger that part of the brain is. The bigger the heart, lungs, intestines, etc, the more neurons are needed to keep everything in line. Similarly, the bigger the limbs are, the bigger the cerebellum has to be. So The bigger the animal, the bigger the brain needs to be to run everything. And this is the sub-tentorial brain that I am talking about. And this is not the part of the brain that leads to larger encephalization quotients, the hemispheres are responsible for that.

And that is what is removed in hemispherectomies. And in that case, the hemisphere that is removed is largely diseased already, and functions of that hemisphere have been taken over by the other hemisphere for the most part, prior to removal. So, if you want to argue that neuronal plasticity, and redundancy of hemispheric function make EQ of 4 or greater enough to exhibit spirituality then ok, but I dont think that is a valid comparison.

You have said that you dont think it is an epiphenomenon of brain size, but you seem to say that an EQ of 4 is necessary. Why is that?