Re: Comments re Moorad and Dr. Jack

From: George Murphy <gmurphy@raex.com>
Date: Tue Oct 26 2004 - 07:56:16 EDT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Joseph, Rhonda" <RKJoseph335@clcmail.clcillinois.edu>
To: <ASA@calvin.edu>
Cc: <garpaxe@hotmail.com>
Sent: Tuesday, October 26, 2004 2:36 AM
Subject: Comments re Moorad and Dr. Jack

> When a person states that there is no consistent evidence of a "literal"
> reading of Genesis 1-11, including no evidence of a deluge-one may want to
> consider the framework the statement is wrapped in. This framework
> consists of a scientific construct of a universe that has been dated by
> methods based upon the assumption that the stars are much older than the
> earth. Giving this view more "weight" than the Biblical statement that
> the earth came first, grants the present theories of science an
> impregnable stature that they have not earned. Rhonda Joseph

The 2d sentence here is incorrect. Scientific methods for dating parts of
the earth & the rest of the universe do not depend on an _assumption_ that
the stars are older than the earth. OTOH we have received light from some
stars at distances so great that that light must have been emitted well
before the earth was formed if some well- supported scientific theories are
true.

Shalom
George
http://web.raex.com/~gmurphy/