Re: Is there a Plan B? (was: So we're all related!)

From: Dick Fischer <dickfischer@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri Oct 22 2004 - 18:48:43 EDT

Gordon Brown wrote:

> Genesis 2 gives us a description of the geography of a portion of the
> Middle East. What author would waste his time trying to geographically
> locate some place in an earth that was totally different geographically?
> Here we have the Garden of Eden's location described for us. Four rivers
> are mentioned. The readers didn't need anyone to tell them where the
> Euphrates River was. The location of the other rivers was described
> relative to locations that the readers would presumably have known about.

Also, the description of the Hiddekel (Tigris) is that it "goeth toward
the east of Assyria." Assyria is named after Asshur (Gen. 10:11) "who
builded Ninevah" in Assyria, which is named after him. Well, where is
Assyria? And the Gihon "compasseth the whole land of Cush." (Because
cush also means "black," translators guessed at "Ethiopia." This is in some
translations.)

Dominick M'Causland identifies the Gihon as the "Gyudes"
of the ancients, the modern Karkheh joined by the Kashkan River in the
region of Cush, or Kush, in Eastern Mesopotamia. Today it is called
Khuzistan, a province in the southwest corner of Iran from where the
Kashkan flows..

So there are two regions, Assyria and Cush, that cannot have been
oblitereated by the flood because they still exist after the flood in
conjunction with the named rivers.

To believe in flood geology, you not only have to say the rivers named
aren't the obvious rivers in Mesopotamia, they were obliterated in the
flood; you would also have to say Assyria isn't Assyria and Cush isn't Cush.
So in essence, even a biblical author doesn't stand a chance against YEC
mentality.

A "straightforward reading" necessitates that the rivers named in Genesis
are the rivers still located in southern Mesopotamia. Is the Euphrates in
Gen. 2:14 not the Euphrates named in Gen.15:18? Get serious!

Being a YEC follows a plan: ignore history, pervert science, and don't read
the Bible either.

www.genesisproclaimed.org