Re: God is not a cat in Schroedinger's box!

From: Jim Armstrong <jarmstro@qwest.net>
Date: Mon Oct 18 2004 - 15:23:00 EDT

Just an annoying couple of yeh-buts......JimA

Don Winterstein wrote:

> Ed Babinski wrote:
>
> "First you must say how you know that Jesus of Nazareth was "God's
> son?" You rely on your holy book to tell you that, just as Muslims rely on
> their holy book to tell them things. But can either side prove their case
> OUTSIDE of quoting verses from their respective holy books?"
>

> The "holy book" is an important witness, but so is history. The
> contrast between the origin of Islam and the origin of Christianity is
> great. In the case of Islam, a man later known for his
> military campaigns got messages in trances.

This sounds a little like Saul/Paul.

> Islam owed much of its success right from the start to military
> prowess. In the case of Christianity, a miracle worker of exemplary
> personal behavior was minimally involved with propagating his message
> outside his own community, but he so profoundly affected his
> unexceptional companions that they set his message well on the road to
> peaceful world domination despite a hostile environment.
>
> The New Testament and the peaceful historical impact of Jesus' message

Interestingly enough, when we've asked observant Jews why they do not
accept Jesus as messiah, they prominently note that peace has not come
to the world as a result of Jesus' message and testimony (being kind in
not usually mentioning the non-pacific and unpleasant events that have
occurred in the name of Christianity).