Islam and Christianity, how great the contrast in history?

From: ed babinski <ed.babinski@furman.edu>
Date: Mon Oct 18 2004 - 19:15:13 EDT

"Don Winterstein" <dfwinterstein@msn.com> writes:
>The "holy book" is an important witness, but so is history. The contrast
>between the origin of Islam and the origin of Christianity is great.

ED: The "origins" of each remain disputed. As folks who have spent their
lives studying the issues can attest. Take Dr. James D. G. Dunn, who was
a fairly conservative Evangelical to start with, and then became a
moderate Evangelical and may still consider himself one, but admits in his
latest momumental work (JESUS REMEMBERED) that he is unable to prove a lot
that conservative Christians believe they can prove from the New Testament
Gospels. I have a list of Dunn's doubts if you'd like to see them, from
his last two books. Or take Dr. Robert M. Price, former Evangelical
inerrantist hellfire and brimstone breathing Baptist, but after being
mentored by the inerrantist Clark Pinnock (member of the Soceity of
Evangelical Christians), and after obtaining two Ph.D.s in New Testament,
one in theology and another in N. T. history, and after reading enough
books such that if the walls of his house fell down, his books alone would
keep it standing, and after seeking to become the best Christian apologist
he could, he grew to have his doubts too. More than Dunn, as you can read
in Dr. Price's online book, BEYOND BORN AGAIN, and in his very latest
work, that expresses even more doubts, THE INCREDIBLE SHRINKING SON OF
GOD. I would of course add my own name and those fo the three dozen
folks in LEAVING THE FOLD as well, or all the folks whose online
testimonies are linked at Steve Locks' website, "Leaving Christianity."
Or take the professors who are members of the Jesus Seminar, many of whom
began their religious journeys at fundamentalist or evangelical
institutions, and by wanting to prove the truth of Christian doctrines to
the world, only to later grow to realize that there were more disputes
than certainties in the Gospel stories.

---------------

>In the case of Islam, a man later known for his military campaigns got
>messages in trances. Islam owed much of its success right from the start
>to military prowess.

ED: All of the MAJOR world religions owe much of their widespread
advancement and growth to tying their ponies to Ceasar's chariot (and vice
versa). Church and State together employed both the sword, and the
carrot. I ecall reading that Constantine or some other Roman Christian
emperors offered many converts a piece of gold and new robe. Not to
mention the way Constantine and other Christian emperors after him
lavished the wealth of Rome on the building of Christian churches and
complexes.

---------------

>In the case of Christianity, a miracle worker of exemplary personal
>behavior was minimally involved with propagating his message outside his
>own community, but he so profoundly affected his unexceptional companions
>that they set his message well on the road to peaceful world
>domination despite a hostile environment.

ED: It remains questionable exactly how "hostile" the environment was for
the spread of Christianity. It was during an age when superstitions,
miracle tales, tales of mysterious ascensions to heaven, tales of sons of
god, and interest in the next life had increased greatly when compared
with the earlier history of the Roman Empire which was more involved with
armed expansion and practical affairs of state. It was an age of mystery
religions. For the first hundred years of Christianity there were still
more Mithraists than Christians, but Christianity was more egalitarian
inviting everyone to join. Paul's home town, Tarsus, was named after a
dying and rising god whose celebrations filled the streets during festival
times. And Christianity was like paganism with more personal promises
and more severe threats as well, for "not" believing. It was also an age
of great roads that stretched throughout the Roman Empire, and an age of
just a few major languages in that Empire, Greek being one of them, so
many could be reached and understand. It was an age where there were
synagoges throughout the Roman Empire, jumping off places for Paul and
other Christians to stay at least briefly, and preach, and gather in a few
souls to found their own separate Christian congregation. Taking all of
that into consideration, Christianity was more of what people wanted in
the world at that time and place.
By the way, before Jesus was ever born, the Roman Emperor, Augustus, was
believed by many to have been "born of a virgin," was called "son of God,"
was said to have had a "gospel," and, "ascended into heaven" after he
died. These ancient tales about Augustus are commonly known by Bible
scholars to have preceded the writing of the Gospels.

>The New Testament and the peaceful historical impact of Jesus' message
>are likely to constitute as much objective proof of a religion's validity
>as we're ever going to get.

ED: Peaceful? When Christianity was in control there apparently were
riots at one time or another in every major city of the Roman Empire,
Christian disputing with Christian, over religion. More Christians killed
Christians after Constantine become the first Roman Christian Emperor,
than during all of the previous persecutions of Christians under the
earlier Roman Emperors. (Please don't be shy about asking me for