Re: David Limbaugh at UNCW

From: <jwburgeson@juno.com>
Date: Fri Oct 15 2004 - 12:22:57 EDT

Replying to Moorad's post of 10/9.

Moorad: "I do not think the examples your cite have anything to do with
separation of church and state--whatever that means!"

They did not; they addressed a different subject. By the above, do you
mean to imply that you are unfamiliar with the church-state separation
concept? Perhaps you are; many are. I was, myself, until I heard about it
in a Sunday School class at the Wheaton Bible Church in the mid-60s.

The following link will take you to one of America's most important
documents, "Memorial and Remonstrance" by James Madison.
http://odur.let.rug.nl/~usa/P/jm4/writings/memor.htm

It was this essay that persuaded George Washington and Patrick Henry to
change their position on having the State of Virginia fund its churches.

In due time it led to the First Amendment, which keeps the state out of
the religion business. A Google search can turn up much much more on
this. The Founders were well aware of the evils that had historically
resulted from the state and church working together on policy. We see
that today in Saudi Arabia. Examples of "Christianity going bad" in a
similar fashion can be seen in the Crusades and the Inquisition.

I commend to you my review of "When Religion Becomes Evil", by Charles
Kimball, a link to this exists at

www.burgy.50megs.com/evil

Moorad: "I do not see how any Christian would not state clearly that
abortion is wrong. Period!"

On my own web site, I have so stated. But I know personally many good,
devout Christians who do not agree. They take this position because they
really do not believe that a "person" is created until sometime late in
the gestation process.

My own belief, based on the science I think I know, is that a "person" is
almost certainly not present until sometime about the womb implantation
process. Therefore I see no moral problem with birth control actions, nor
with very early term abortions. The scriptures do not seem to give any
definite direction on this issue (early term), nor would I expect them to
do so. One OT verse (Ex 21:22) seems to indicate the developing fetus is
of less worth than a "person," but it, too, is not clear as far as the
issues we are discussing.

Moorad: "The outrage of the US Supreme Court to force abortion as a law
of the land was legislation passed by the judiciary branch."

They did not "force abortion as the law of the land." They did rule that
a woman could not be denied choices in such matter.

Moorad: "Partial birth abortion makes clear, even to the blind, the
butchering that goes on in the womb in abortions."

The D&X procedure IS gruesome. So is open heart surgery (which I've had).
The "gruesomeness" is not a valid argument.

Moorad: "It is strange how the left always talks about education but they
are not willing to show a prospective abortion seeker what will actually
take place in her body when aborting her unborn."

Do you know this for a fact? Or is it simply an assumption on your part?
I suspect that it is sometimes true; sometimes not true.

You speak of the "left," and I assume you mean it pejoratively. Perhaps I
am "left," I know that I am a "liberal." I define that word as Walter
Cronkite does, in these words: "I do not consider a liberal necessarily
to be a leftist. A liberal to me is one who ... is unbeholden to any
specific belief or party or group or person, but makes up his or her mind
on the basis of the facts and the presentation of the facts at the time.
That defines who I am. I have never voted a party line. I vote on the
individual and the issues." -- Walter Cronkite, interview in TIME
magazine, 11/3/2003, page 8.

Moorad: "The issue of the health of a women in partial birth abortion
cases is to introduce a loophole that will make that type of abortion a
choice to end any pregnancy whatsoever."

Once again, take the part of any of the six ladies in
www.burgy.50megs.com/six.htm
and tell us how you would have proceeded differently.

Burgy

Now includes pop-up blocker!