Re: New Abortion Quiz

From: jack syme <drsyme@cablespeed.com>
Date: Wed Oct 13 2004 - 20:12:25 EDT

There are many medical ethicists that would strongly argue against your
conception of what human is. And they may not be correct either, but you
cannot solve the abortion debate, by just claiming that a fertilized egg is
HUMAN.

You have to be more convincing. What is your basis for this claim? Is it
that the egg has become heterozygous? But, any part of our body that we cut
off has heterozygous cells. So, unless you want to claim that using a
loofah is killing a human, you need to be more precise. ;) HeLa cells are
a heterozygous human cell culture that has been perpetuated for many
generations, and no one claims that these are a person.

But seriously. If you want to use biblical evidence about when you think
"humanity", or perhaps personhood as the rationalists would call it, begins,
feel free to do so. This may not convince unbelievers, but I would listen.

Think of this, whatever your definition of human is, it will have
implications at the other end of the life span. And, as a neurologist, I
have a lot of experience with the other end, and I agree that whether or not
an entity can sustain its own life is not required of being a human. At
least that is my opinion on the matter.

Dont just make a claim of what it is to be human, prove it to me.

Jack