Re: David Limbaugh at UNCW

From: George Murphy <gmurphy@raex.com>
Date: Sat Oct 09 2004 - 14:42:37 EDT

----- Original Message -----
From: <jwburgeson@juno.com>
To: <dennis@innovatia.com>
Cc: <asa@calvin.edu>
Sent: Saturday, October 09, 2004 12:50 PM
Subject: Re: David Limbaugh at UNCW

> My judgement is that Bush does not think through the issues. Witness his
> interchange with K in the 2nd debate. On the parental notification act --
> he apparently had never considered that the act, while its goals were
> lofty, REQUIRED a 14 year old girl who had been raped by her father to
> notify her father before she had an abortion. On "partial birth
> abortion," W had never considered the fact that "one size cannot fit
> all;" that the bill he signed (and which 3 judges have set aside)
> contained no provisions for the health of the bearer.
>
> The link below contains the testimonies of six women who explained this
> to Congress a few years ago. It is really not all that complicated. But W
> goes for the easy answer.

These considerations are indeed relevant, and I think that there are cases
in which abortion is the best of unfortunate choices availible. But the
practical result of being required to take into account all possible
exceptional cases is that it is not possible for a state ever to say under
any circumstances that the life of an unborn child can receive any
protection if the woman bearing that child is intent on aborting it. You
may consider that good. I think it reveals a culture which is terribly out
of balance.

This isn't to say that I'm going to vote for GWB: I'm not. But just on the
issue of abortion his position has more substance than that of the man I
will vote for - a man whose own religious tradition gives him little excuse
for the position he takes.

Shalom
George
http://web.raex.com/~gmurphy/