Re: A word of appreciation

From: Sheila Wilson <sheila-wilson@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Fri Oct 01 2004 - 10:02:12 EDT

Vernon,

I am not requesting an unending exercise but rather a comparison of the code to two or three major works (in their original language). The two or three major works would be a reasonable control group. Then we would have more certainty as your claims - valid or invalid. A control group is more than reasonable in any scientific study.

Sheila

Vernon Jenkins <vernon.jenkins@virgin.net> wrote:
Hi Sheila,

You said "Unfortunately, I have never seen any mathematical certainty about the age of the earth nor do I see any mathematical certainty in your essays..."

On reflection, I see that my recent comment was poorly worded. It was not my intention to claim any mathematical certainty about the age of the earth but rather to contrast Michael's devotion to an unprovable dogma with the sound mathematical principles that underpin my claims with respect to Genesis 1:1.

You continued, "... probabilities that could be just as true with other significant works. Have you ever considered doing the same analysis on Shakespeare or Hawking? Having a control set would be a great test of your theories."

Yes, I have been challenged along these lines before. For example, in the ASA archives for 2001 you may find two postings by Todd S.Green. Here are the relevant URLs: http://www.calvin.edu/archive/asa/200106/0236.html and
http://www.calvin.edu/archive/asa/200107/0054.html

Realising that such an exercise would be unending, I declined his suggestion - whereupon he offered to put together a software package that would enable interested parties to test selected passages of text for numerical structures of the kind found associated with Gen.1:1.
I agreed to help him in this endeavour by preparing a formal protocol. This is entitled "On testing the hypothesis that OBC*-like features are not unique to the Judeo-Christian scriptures but may be found to occur in other texts." (*OBC = Other Bible Code"). You may find this at http://homepage.virgin.net/vernon.jenkins/protodd.htm

Todd did not pursue the matter. Neither ASA nor myself have heard from him since.

Vernon
www.otherbiblecode.com