Re: Natural Evil

From: D. F. Siemens, Jr. <dfsiemensjr@juno.com>
Date: Thu Sep 30 2004 - 23:40:13 EDT

Jim,
As I see it, your question applies to YEC, where the question has to
arise, "Why did God take six days instead, as Augustine thought, of
creating instantaneously?" The best answer to your question from a sane
view of science that I have found is from George L. Murphy. His The
Cosmos in the Light of the Cross, 2003, has a blurb that reads, in part:
"George Murphy finds understanding in the theology of the cross, with a
God who becomes a participant in the universe and thereby shares the
suffering, loss, and death that are part of the worldly experience." He
applies it to ecology, evolution and bioethics. His chapter,
"Christology, Evolution, and the Cross," pp. 370ff in Keith B. Miller,
ed., Perspectives on an Evolving Creation, 2003 (which is less expensive)
also presents the argument. I won't try to summarize it here.
Dave

On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 16:40:34 -0700 "Jim Armstrong" <jarmstro@qwest.net>