many worlds and us

From: <Dawsonzhu@aol.com>
Date: Sun Aug 08 2004 - 10:00:55 EDT

Some time ago, Glenn posted the issue about how a many worlds
concept would damage the Christian concept of salvation. At the
time, I commented that I didn't really think that it was something we
should worry about much until we have a real reason to take concern
about it.

Well, it seems I thought about it anyway in the meantime
and I think there could be a theology that is built around
Glenn's point. In fact, I think it could even make the issue of
salvation even more poignant rather than diluting it as some
suggest. I pose it with myself as the example, since the same
issues apply. Yes, given that the many worlds model is correct,
perhaps in one world, I am a saint, in another I am an ax
mass-murder, in yet another, a thief, etc., etc.

This only exemplifies that I should not judge
others because somewhere out there, I am guilty of the
exactly same sin. Indeed, somewhere out there, I may
have done it real big time. Even if I say I am without sin,
maybe in this world I am a saint there is no dirt on
me, but there is surely some world where I have lots of
grime and filth to clean off. (As it actually is, I am a
Christian in the Nth-repeat round of "boot camp" and still
thick at getting it.)

But there is a very important theological point too. In
all those many worlds, Christ did not sin. This, of course,
can only be taken on faith, but given that it is true,
Christ's death is not just for me in this world, but
for the Wayne who is a Creationist in one of the other
worlds, for Wayne who is a charlatan in yet another, etc.

Moreover, because Christ did not sin, and Christ is the leader
and perfecter of our faith, that would mean that not all
those states would need be occupied. The circumstances
and conditions may be right for Wayne to be a mass ax
murder in some world, but that does not mean that he must
inevitable fall into that state: his faith in Christ in
one world may be enough to influence the state of the
other worlds in a constructive way that turns the tide.

Likewise, for the person who knows not Christ, that would have
a lot to do with what Christ means when he says
"many of you will come to me and say Lord Lord and I will say
I never knew you."
It is saying a lot about how we gain an edge on those other worlds.
The chance to be holy and the chance to be wicked are buried
in fate, whether there are many worlds or not. But, __given__
that the theology of scripture is true, Christ can give us a way
(though obviously very hard) to avert being wicked in all those
other worlds.

So Glenn, even _given_ the many worlds model is actually true,
I don't think that you can necessarily conclude that you are
an ax murder in even one of them. Moreover, even in the event
that in one of them you are, Christ died for all your sins in
all your worlds. This would, however, underline the importance
of not judging others because we may be more than guilty of
the same sin ourselves.

By Grace alone we proceed,
Wayne