Fw: Energy article from BBC news

From: Innovatia <dennis@innovatia.com>
Date: Tue Aug 03 2004 - 14:41:52 EDT

MessageTO: ASA Listserver

What amazes me is the strong tendency in human nature to remain in danger despite knowing the consequences. Ingrained habit is a powerful influence on human will. The many Jews in Western and Central Europe could not have failed to note the danger that Corporal Schickelgruber (Hitler) posed to them, yet millions ended in the death camps when they could have emmigrated (as did the German Jewish physicists such as Einstein). They were not like the simple, info-limited peasants who were exterminated by Stalin or Mao.

Major cities are rather vulnerable to disruptions in the infrastructure, including the financial system. A dozen or more credit links are involved in getting food from the farmer to the urban consumer. In the past, famine and physical suffering have not uncommonly been due to financial instability instead of physical limitations. On a larger scale, the developed world has become an urban-style time-bomb. While the Establishment media conditions the mases in a false view of geopolitical and economic reality, some fraction of Americans - perhaps 1 to 3 % - have bothered to actually look behind the scenes at what's going on. A significant fraction of these people have gotten out of the developed world. I would be one of them. As it becomes obvious to fools that something has gone very wrong, a superlinear trend in emmigration will occur, but much of it will not be possible, I suspect, because the walls put in place will hold most would-be escapees in. The time to get out is while your neighbors are still convinced of the foolishness of your ark-building efforts.

Unless one is resigned to a nihilistic view (which is characteristic of some eschatology in the organized AmXn church nowadays), then it seems to me that a high priority for AmXns - especially talented Xns such as ASAers, perhaps - should be to start projects for the preservation of civilization in view of the coming darkness. My approach is to encourage and participate in the formation of "colonies", intentional communities of Christians who have left the System, and to encourage and support the existing ones. Here in Cayo, Belize are several Mennonite colonies and a colony of non-Xn Germans. As networks of like-minded colonies form and grow, they could become the nucleus for civilization in the future, especially some with higher education levels than the Kleinegemeinde Mennonites who live here.

Some countries in Central America, such as Belize and Panama, have a low population density yet are quite liveable. It is possible to emmigrate to these countries without liquidating the Taj Mahal. They politically avoid entanglement in the emerging World Order, yet not in the manner of the Mideastern world. Some sacrifices have to be made to leave North America or Western Europe, most for the better, physically and spiritually. Due to the lack of means here, governments cannot, even if they wanted, micromanage society, replacing community based on personal relations with enumeration, databases, law-enforced "trust" among strangers, and impersonal procedures. The Mayans in Belize are the survivors of a past, decayed civilization in which most Mayans perished. The few who remain carry with them strong survival instincts and practices. They too are colonists of sorts.

A technology-oriented network of colonies could be places where alternative living in its fullness, and not only alternative energy development, might thrive. They would be dominated by an extreme statistical tail of the overall population - people driven by a larger vision and willing to pursue it at personal cost. That more or less sums up what this ASAer is doing nowadays in Central America. I am not alone. Former ASAer Mark Ludwig, a particle physicist by background, shares a similar vision, as do a large fraction of N. American expatriates here.

Our calling as Christians is not to save the world per se but to pursue what we can realistically address given the parameters God has handed us in our setting. I can live with the fact that a large fraction of the global population will die off in the coming destruction because I am working on the seeds of a new society for after this destruction has run its course. The people of Christ have always functioned in this way, living in the wilderness, on the margins, and building something better. When societies permeated by wordly evil crumble, the seeds of renewed civilization emerge from these colonies, communities promoting the principles of life.

Anybody else doing or thinking along these lines out there?

Dennis Feucht