Re: TOE or TSD: that is the question! (was Genesis 1:1 - a standing miracle)

From: Vernon Jenkins <vernon.jenkins@virgin.net>
Date: Tue Aug 03 2004 - 17:00:12 EDT

Hi Jim,

Please find my responses interspersed

Vernon
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Jim Armstrong
  Cc: asa@calvin.edu
  Sent: Saturday, July 31, 2004 10:42 PM
  Subject: Re: TOE or TSD: that is the question! (was Genesis 1:1 - a standing miracle)

  JimA responds [interspersed]:

  Vernon Jenkins wrote:

    Jim,

    Thanks for these thoughts. But where do you stand with respect to the body of information newly revealed within Genesis 1:1? Here we find a set of numerical absolutes (and other) distilled from just 7 Hebrew words.
  If you are talking about the constants, I just note that they might be more accurately rendered, and why aren't they?

  (VJ) Pi and e (both trancendental numbers) are derived from the biblical texts as _ratios of integers_; it follows that a degree of error is unavoidable. As it happens, this error is small in each case - despite the many constraints imposed by other notable features of the phenomena. Surprisingly, these constants are both derived correct to 5 significant figures - representing odds exceeding 8 billion to 1 against.

    Don't you regard this as something remarkable - and to be properly accounted for (as far as we are able) in our Christian walk?
  Remarkable - I'll give you that. Connecting it to my walk takes a construction of assumptions and interpretations that fail the inspection standards in my view.

  (VJ) But the data are real - and clearly purposed by the Creator; hence, it is logical to believe they have a pressing and significant purpose. That purpose is perhaps not as obscure as you appear to suggest.

    Is it likely that He who speaks thus would choose evolution as His means of creating?
  My answer is, Yes. Why not? Can you describe a suitable alternative "actual" means of creating?
  [quoting now from one of my earlier posts]
  What might be your image of what happened in that man-creation event?

  Thinking out loud for just a moment about what the actual process might have looked like...

  Might it have been a simple wasn't-there-a-moment-ago-but-is-now event?

  Was there a flash? Or a Bang, considering the energy of formation seemingly involved?

  Or did an amorphous clay shape rise from the earth in response to unseen influence, taking shape over seconds and then transforming into the finished creation?

  Or might there have been a slightly longer process, minutes of dust gathering (atomic or suitable raw molecular ensembles), swirling, coalescing, and settling into the shape and function of the finished creation?

  Perhaps it started with something more organic, nurtured, sculpted in substance, complexity and function, layer by layer over a few hours, until the final creation resulted?

  Or could the right stuff have been put into creation's chemical retort with just the right starting and sustaining conditions (creating an attractor in complexity terms), so that only the additional ingredient of time (days, years, centuries, or millenia - what's the real difference?) was required to move from there to "ooze", and then on to the desired result?

  Which of these is wrong? Or right? Why might one think so? If these all feel wrong, what scenario did you have in mind? What assumptions underlie your choice or lack thereof among these options?

  For me, the evolutionary process seems elegant, simple in essence but incredibly fruitful, and for certain awe inspiring. It doesn't even necessarily rule out a literal Adam and Eve, some feeling that the "breath of God" created the essential self- and God-aware human being at some point in the flow of man-evolution. It certainly does NOT rule out God!!

  At the end of the day, at the very least it doesn't seem right to just say, "I'm not sure how He did do it, but I'm absolutely sure that He didn't do it that way!"
  (VJ) I hardly think it necessary that we speculate on how God fashioned the objects of His creation, ex nihilo. The implications of the Genesis 1:1 phenomena are what really matter, surely. They speak of a purposeful and all-powerful Being - for whom creating by the scriptural antagonist _evolution_ cannot reasonably be considered an option.

    - and equivocation as His method of communicating with us?
  ...and what you suggest is evidently free of equivocation?

  (VJ) Please clarify.

    Regards,

    Vernon
    www.otherbiblecode.com