Re: TOE or TSD: that is the question! (was Genesis 1:1 - a standing miracle)

From: Jan de Koning <jan@dekoning.ca>
Date: Sat Jul 31 2004 - 18:22:49 EDT

Vernon,
Thank you for your nice words, but, though I do not want to be called an
"evolutionist", I do not think that God is fooling us in His creation by
making it appear that things are different than they seem.
Besides, it is dangerous to hang one's faith on one text written in a
foreign language, when nobody can confirm in nature what God did. From
other parts of the Bible many things can be clearly found in existing
excavations and so on. But, even then it is clear that the old Hebrews did
not use language as modern North Americans do it. For one thing "truth"
has another meaning, a narrower meaning now, than it had for the old
Hebrews. For another thing, excavations prove that, for example, Jericho
was indeed destroyed around the time the Bible says, but that the total
numbers given in the Bible do not fit the size of Jericho. In other places
as well, it is clear that the people of the OT used language in a different
way than we do.
As I said I am not going to be involved in this debate, but you may find
other books, not written by what you call "evolutionists", who have only
"theological" degrees, who do not want to deny evolution, and base it on
the use of language by OT people. They stress that God wants us to know
that He made it all, and that He chose a people to represent Him on
earth. The language used is not English, the place where these things
happen is not exactly known, but it is not Europe.
If you then consider how difficult it is to read your own language as it
was spoken in the Middle ages, one should be grateful for the many
different types of people studying the Bible, studying history, studying
what God does in nature.

Jan de Koning