Genesis 1:1 - a standing fluke

From: Don Winterstein <dfwinterstein@msn.com>
Date: Sun Jul 25 2004 - 01:08:12 EDT

OK, Vernon, you've pushed me beyond the point of no response.

Please consider the following scenario: Suppose someone (God, say) put the following thought into the mind of some Hebrew scribe and motivated him to write it down: "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth."

How many different ways could the scribe have expressed that thought in acceptable Hebrew? Four? Ten? One hundred? Probably far fewer than 100, but for the sake of argument let's take 100 for a worst case.

Then the chance that the inspired scribe would have chosen to write "beraysheath bara elohim ayth hashemime wa'ayth ha'aretz" (pardon the amateurish transliteration) would have been 1/100. Hence your chance of getting all the amazing numerical phenomena you've found would have been 1/100.

Ordinarily we would not consider the occurrence of an event with probability 1/100 to be a miracle. We might call it a fluke instead.

Or do you claim that divine inspiration comes as through a pipeline letter by letter? Even so, God would have a fairly limited number of ways of expressing that one thought, so if the words happened to give amazing numerical results, the phenomena would still likely be more fluke than message.

The letters and hence the numbers are controlled by the thought but are irrelevant to the thought. It's only a fluke that you can make anything of them.

Don