Re: Genesis 1:1 - a standing miracle

From: Robert Schneider <rjschn39@bellsouth.net>
Date: Fri Jul 23 2004 - 18:00:18 EDT

Let me pick up on Michael's good points about inspiration. As a classicist
who came to NT studies later, I was surprised after careful reading and
study (including secondary sources) to discover how much of form and
rhetoric Paul had imbibed from his cultural surroundings and incorporated
into his letters. There are passages in some letters, for example, that
show a decided influence of Stoic ethics and logic. Paul often uses an
"if...then" logic of argumentation that compares with Stoic logic; and some
of the paranetic passages in letters like Galatians contain lists of vices
that resemble those in Stoic ethical treatises. In his "Hermeneia"
commentary, Hans Betz argues that Galatians is constructed like a
Greco-Roman oration that contains techniques from both judicial and
deliberative (i.e., assembly) speeches, and there are portions that remind
me of such speeches. And Leander Keck has argued that in Romans Paul
alternates between rabinnical and philosophical modes of argumentation. One
technique he uses in the latter letter is the diatribe, where the writer
states an anticipated objection or assertion from an imagined listener, and
answers it. Since the Galatian communities were primarily Gentile, and the
Romans a mixed Jewish/Gentile audience, these assertions make sense in terms
of audience. Remember that Paul said that he became "all things to all
men." It makes perfect sense that he would couch his theology and ethics in
literary forms and rhetorical devises that his audience would be familiar
with and appreciate. (By the way, Paul's home town Tarsus contained one of
the major schools of Stoic philosophy.)

Paul was a superb rhetorician, not the only Hellenized Jew of that talent
(cf. Philo). And I think that some of his most inspired passages are so
powerful precisely because he could draw, even unconsciously, upon the
rhetorical talents and experience he had. More could be said about such
writers as Luke, whom Michael mentioned, Mark, and John. These evangelists
were literary geniuses each in his own way, as well as profound theologians.
I have no trouble extending the notion of inspiration to form as well as
content: that is, the inspired writers used the talents they were endowed
with and learned in order to convey their messages. The terms Michael used,
a faith "incarnated or inculturated," are right on target, in my view.

Bob Schneider