Re: Nuclear Energy and global climate

From: George Murphy <gmurphy@raex.com>
Date: Fri Jul 02 2004 - 17:32:36 EDT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Innovatia" <dennis@innovatia.com>
To: "ASA Listserver" <asa@calvin.edu>
Sent: Friday, July 02, 2004 3:30 PM
Subject: Fw: Nuclear Energy and global climate

> From: "Howard J. Van Till" <hvantill@sbcglobal.net>
>
> > A quick look at the slides posted on this website suggests that the
> Beardon
> > approach requires one little adjustment in physics as we know it: the
> First
> > Law of Thermodynamics (Conservation of Energy Principle) must be
repealed.
> > Good luck!
>
> Beardon's group anticipated this response. Some of what he wrote to me in
> response in OCT02 is given below:
>
> Note the rash of rather dogmatic pronouncements (Sci. Am. etc. ) still
> erroneously equating COP>1.0 EM systems with perpetual motion machines.
> Eerily, the greatest perpetual motion advocates in human history are the
> classical electrodynamicists, the electrical engineering departments, EE
> professors, and EEs whose century-old model excludes the active vacuum's
> energy interaction with the source charge and source dipole, and thus also
> excludes the proven broken symmetry in that interaction as signified by
the
> award of the Nobel Prize to Lee and Yang in 1957. It also excludes the
local
> curvature of spacetime that occurs every time the energy in the circuit
> changes. So the model these folks use has been falsified for decades by
> particle physics and quantum mechanics, for nearly a century by general
> relativity, and for 45 years by the discovery of broken symmetry in
physics.
> Their model is perhaps forgivable until 1957; it is unforgivable since
then.

> We continue unemotionally addressing the issue of COP>1.0 systems,
> especially the second law of thermodynamics, which we now have revealed is
> not only violable but also an oxymoron. It has always implicitly assumed
> that first some negentropy must have occurred, to have the initial order
in
> the first place, so it can subsequently be disordered. Since the law
states
> that only progressive entropy (disordering) can occur, it thus implicitly
> assumes its own negation to have previously occurred. Hence it is an
> oxymoron. Since every source charge in the universe already exhibits
giant,
> increasing negentropy, the second law is also falsified by every charge,
> every field, every potential, and every joule of EM energy in the
universe.

    Beardon's arguments don't impress me greatly. 3 points here.

1st, in your earlier post you stated that his "The generalization is to not
apply
the Lorentz gage as such to make the propagation equations appear as in the
conventional theory." I don't think this can be an accurate statement of
his theory
if it amounts to anything. Maxwell-Lorentz theory is gauge invariant so it
can't make any
difference whether you use Lorentz, Coulomb, or any other gauge. Presumably
what
he's done is to modify that theory so it isn't gauge invariant. The most
obvious way to
do that is to include a photon mass term, & with that the Lorentz gauge
condition follows as a consequence of the field equations. So he must do
something else.

2d, concerning the ststement about the curvature of spacetime. Sure - but
it's very small. A very strong B field of 10^5 gauss has a mass density of
about
10^-12 g/cm^3, with correspondingly weak gravitational field. And what does
it do? The most obvious effect I can think of for an AC circuit is that the
changes in the mass quadrupole moment of the EM field would result in the
radiation of energy _away_ from the circuit (at a very tiny rate). & that
isn't going to help energy production since it drains energy from the
system.

3d, I suspect that similar things can be said about the other effects he
appeals to - like the symmetry breaking due to the embedding of EM in
electroweak theory. The predicted parity violations in EM penomena have
been seen, but again they are quite small. & how is his technology supposed
to exploit them? This sounds like violent handwaving to me.

Shalom
George
http://web.raex.com/~gmurphy/