Re: Nuclear Energy and global climate

From: Innovatia <dennis@innovatia.com>
Date: Thu Jul 01 2004 - 00:29:21 EDT

As I recall, uranium reserves are limited, thereby also limiting the nuclear
energy option even if sufficient power plants existed. There are uranium
reserves of significance in southern Somalia, due for further exploration,
which the anti-UN/tribal fighting disrupted. Another option is, like France,
to invest considerable resources into breeder reactors. The U.S. Congress
turned this down some years ago. And fusion is years away from economic
viability, despite energy breakeven.

At 1kW/m^2 from the sun for about 20 % of the time (or a continuous average
of 200 W/m^2), 5 m^2 supplies the average US residence with electricity.
More is needed to power electric vehicles, and perhaps 15 m^2 per household
would suffice. The problem is as much energy storage as generation. Solar
thermal versus PV seems to me the way to go when storage is considered.

Unless ...

Physicist Tom Beardon in Huntsville, AL has published some chapters in a
recent book on the latest in optics (electromagnetics) that propose (and
claim experimental verification of) a new method of electric energy supply,
based on a generalization of EM theory. The generalization is to not apply
the Lorentz gage as such to make the propagation equations appear as in the
conventional theory. I haven't fully assimilated the physics yet (see
http://www.cheniere.org/images/Energy/ for an intro).

Beardon was recently the target of an attack in the editorial page of
Scientific American, though not by name (by patent number). Beardon is
claiming for his prototype device, based on readily available magnetics
components, a power gain of x 2 or 100 %. It would take some rather sloppy
experimental measurement to be off by such a wide tolerance.

Dennis Feucht