Re: Genesis 1:1 - a standing miracle

From: Gary Collins <gwcollins@algol.co.uk>
Date: Thu Jul 01 2004 - 09:15:26 EDT

<snip>
 Thus, for example, is it any longer
>reasonable for us to suppose that His making of Eve was other than from a
>rib of Adam (Gen.2:21-24). But how can this statement live alongside a
>belief in theistic evolution?

Vernon,
As people keep pointing out, such an interpretation presupposes
that the author was writing straightforward history and
intended that this passage should be taken literally.
This is not necessarily the case, and the genre of literature
must be determined before any interpretation may usefully
be drawn.
I suggest you read 'In the Beginning' by Henri Blocher to find
out more about this, or 'How to Read the Bible for all its Worth'
by Gordon Fee and Stuart Macdonald (if I remember right)
for a more general introduction to how to interpret the
Scriptures.

Regards,
/Gary