Re: Shapes of a Wedge

From: Robert Schneider <rjschn39@bellsouth.net>
Date: Wed Jun 09 2004 - 05:41:02 EDT

The problem with your argument, Don, is that it reduces marriage to sexual
intercourse for the purpose of having offspring. That is not a description
in any real sense of what a marriage is to be. One of the problems with the
concept of marriage in many Christian expressions is that it bought the
ancient (Greek, Roman, Jewish) concept that the purpose of marriage is to
maintain the family as an economic unit, which required offspring to
perpetuate the family and its property rights. Women were married by their
parents to the male of another family for purposes of economic, political or
other alliances. They were not married for the purpose of maintaining a
loving, faithful, monogamous relationship. In fact, it was common in some
of these cultures for the male to have relations with other women outside of
the marriage; or with men. Futhermore, such marriages were power
relationships in which the male in their patriarchal, hierarchical
relationships held nearly complete control over his wife, whose only
recourse to abuse was to threaten to walk away and take the dowry with her;
she had virtually no rights at law. She was the inferior in a power
relationship

When procreation is placed in the context of the primary purpose of marriage
as mutual love, companionship, and mutual care, then we come closer to the
teachings of Jesus and the new testament letter writers. When Maria and I
married, she was past child-bearing age: I defy anyone to argue that there
is something defective about our marriage because we are unable to produce
offspring. Eve was created from the human being primarily to be his
companion, not primarily to be his baby maker.

Bob