Re: HYAR'S ARTICLE IN THE JASA, 1984

From: jack syme <drsyme@cablespeed.com>
Date: Wed Feb 18 2004 - 18:44:15 EST

Yes, I agree I found this article quite convincing that this is the meaning of the text. His interpretation of course is what could be called a Framework Interpretation. What I like about it, compared to the Meridith Kline's version of that view, is it avoids the Upper Register Cosmology, and the convoluted reasoning about "because it had not rained", of Genesis 2:5-6.

I am not sure about all numerological reasoning Hyars gets into. But I love how he makes us see the text in the context of the time it was written and to who it was written.