Re: Liberalism and Neo-orthodoxy

From: Graham E. Morbey <gmorbey@wlu.ca>
Date: Mon Feb 16 2004 - 19:38:50 EST

Hi Terry, et al,

Maybe Van Til didn't really "know" Barth. It doesn't matter if Van Til's
copies of the Dogmatics, etc., were the most studied and marked up. Van
Til read everything according to his set of "truths" and could very well
have misunderstood Barth's language and meanings and have done a lot of
eisegesis on him! What makes me say this is the present favourable study
of Barth by orthodox Christians and the fact that Van Til once told some
of his students at Westminster that his work was to dismantle false
theologies and it would be his students task to be more constructive. I
have a high regard for Van Til but I think his reading of others was too
much influenced by his negative critical attitude.

Graham