Re: Kerkut

From: John W Burgeson <jwburgeson@juno.com>
Date: Mon Feb 09 2004 - 10:04:14 EST

Dick posted, in part:

"> I Corinthians 15:22 says: "For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ
shall all be made alive."

>>Let's look at the second part of that verse. Are ALL human beings made
alive in Christ. No! Only those who hear and believe. So the word
"all" is qualified in this verse.>>

When you say "Are all human beings made alive in Christ. No!" you are
adding your own theology to the verse. Maybe, just maybe, Paul meant what
he said.

I am reading IF GRACE BE TRUE, a defense of universalism (ALL intelligent
creatures are, ultimately, saved). Controversial? Of course; we
Christians have too long accepted the dogma that some, perhaps most,
maybe all but a very few, are condemned to an eternity outside the
heavenlies. The authors challenge that thinking.

I have for myself long decided that I don't have to take a position on
that issue (as members here know, I do have some issues I have to take a
position on), so I study it academically.

Suffice it to say that, 1/2 way through the book, I am impressed (but not
persuaded) by the arguments in it. The authors are Philip Gulley and
James Mulholland.

In addition to the :proof texts" Matthew 18:14, John 12:32, Luke 3:6 and
Romans 8:38-39, the authors quote Origen, St. Gregory, Elizabeth
Browning, William Barclay and Madeleine L'Engle. However, they do not
base their arguments on these but use them only as illustrative that
there IS an issue which is problematical.

Worth reading.
Burgy

www.burgy.50megs.com/h4h.htm (A Habitat for Humanity story)

Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!