Re: Kerkut

From: Michael Roberts <michael.andrea.r@ukonline.co.uk>
Date: Fri Feb 06 2004 - 05:28:46 EST

  Does flunking your course in biology with a 68 give you bragging rights over someone who gets a 52?

  What an amazing marking system? Over here 40 is a pass, 52 is weak, 68 is good and over 70 gives you a first. It is very rare to get over 75.

  George wrote "All other things being equal, you're better off listening to someone with a Th.D. from an accredited seminary than to one with a mailorder diploma from Gee Whiz Bible College "
  I am not sure some accredited degrees are worth much, I am thinking of two MA theses I have read and someone from a well-known creationist organisation with a Ph D in the history of science from a British univ (which has no history of science) (The Univ concerned comes about 90th out of 110 in the league table of Brit univs. In the UK employers want to see the Thesis rather than note the research degree.

  Also George I agree with you about Kuhn. His pardigm shifts simply dont fit in with the way science has developed.

  Michael

  Michael