Re: Kerkut

From: George Murphy <gmurphy@raex.com>
Date: Fri Feb 06 2004 - 06:17:32 EST

wallyshoes wrote:

> George Murphy wrote:
>
> > gordon brown wrote:

> > > Since Hugh Ross now has an associate, Fazala Rana, who is supposed to be a
> > > biologist and presumably influences Ross, perhaps determining Rana's areas
> > > of expertise would be relevant in assessing the credibility of Ross's
> > > statements in the areas that Dick mentions.
> > >
> > > I have heard that Hugh Ross has studied Hebrew (maybe on his own (?)), but
> > > as far as I know, he has not had any formal theological training. I don't
> > > believe that a layman should always defer to a trained clergyman. Some
> > > have been led astray by doing that. The Bereans (Acts 17:11) were
> > > commended for checking out Paul's statements. I believe that all believers
> > > should seek to be educated theologically, but that doesn't necessarily
> > > mean a formal education with degrees. I perceive that many laymen on this
> > > list are theologically knowledgeable, and I respect their contributions to
> > > the discussions of the theological aspects of the issues discussed here.
> > > Of course, I also respect the contributions of those with theological
> > > degrees and am happy to learn from them what we laymen have missed.
> >
> > Of course it isn't simply a matter of what degrees a person has: Karl Barth
> > didn't have an earned doctorate. (Apropos of which: In the 1st part of the 20th
> > century there was a man on the faculty at Harvard who was supposed to be one of the
> > world's greatest experts on Shakespeare, but he had only a B.A. When asked why he
> > didn't get a Ph.D. he's supposed to have said, "Who would examine me?")
> >
> > Actually one of the major problems I see here is the lack of familiarity that
> > most Christians have with the whole history of the Christian theological tradition,
> > including biblical interpretation. This is true of many clergy as well as laity.
> > What theologians have said & written for the past 2000 years isn't necessarily
> > normative, but if people don't know anything about it they will always be re-inventing
> > the wheel - or unfortunately, re-inventing old heresies. They will think that some
> > teaching is what Christians have always believed whereas it may be an idea that has
> > cropped up quite recently (e.g., pre-tribulation rapture) or has been held only by some
> > relatively narrow strand of the tradition. They think that evolution is a theological
> > latecomer, while in reality the ideas of a number of the church fathers are quite open
> > to evolutionary interpretation or development. & perhaps most importantly, those who
> > are not familiar with the history of the _whole_ church simply aren't aware of the
> > variety of views that have been held on some important matters.
> > This is a problem especially for protestants, who in practice ignore everything
> > that happened theologically between about A.D. 100 & 1600 - & if they're very
> > conservative, everything after about 1600! The situation ought to be better for RCs but
> [...]

        Of course I don't expect you simply to accept the obiter dicta of me or any
other theologian without question. You're right that such statements should be judged
on their merits. But what criteria does one use for "merits"? Does it come from real
familiarity with the issues and the ways in which Christians through the centuries have
dealt with them, or is it just one's own individual religious ideas?

        The fundamental point is not a matter of listening to individual theologians as
experts but - as I tried to emphasize in talking about history - listening to the whole
Christian tradition. Of course that tradition is rather sprawling, which makes some
discernment necessary. Theology & biblical interpretation are enterprises which are to
be carried out as part of the church, not simply by isolated individuals. While there
are problems with the way the RC tradition has understood this, it has a better grasp of
the collegial character that theology is to have than do a lot of protestants. (&
please note that this is 2004. RCs are encouraged to read the Bible today.)

        Finally, it's all very well to say nice things about theologians, but if the
theological opinions of all Christians are of equal weight, is there really any place
for people with specialized training. Can the person who teaches 3d grade in Sunday
School teach a graduate level course in seminary equally well? (& no, this isn't a
putdown of SS teachers. If it weren't for them our seminaries would be pretty bare.)

                                                Shalom,
                                                George

George L. Murphy
gmurphy@raex.com