Re: Kerkut (was: Re: A case for Christianity that does use ID orYEC arguments)

From: George Murphy <gmurphy@raex.com>
Date: Thu Feb 05 2004 - 12:22:50 EST

Dick Fischer wrote:

> 'Drsyme" wrote:
>
> >I send Hugh Ross much more than emails of support, I send him money too.
>
> Good. Maybe he'll answer a question for you that you can pass to this
> group. Why is it that the professional, scholarly, scientific expertise
> that he applies meticulously to astrophysics are totally abandoned when he
> ventures into biology, genetics and anthropology? If he professes no
> expertise in these sciences, that's fine, why doesn't he just say that and
> keep his mouth shut?
>
> Because he does have genuine scientific credentials in the area of
> astrophysics, it is often overlooked that he has no training in the other
> sciences. But nevertheless, he continues to comment in the other areas of
> science as if his training in astrophysics qualifies him. Why doesn't he
> either opt out from making comments in those fields of science where he has
> continually demonstrated his lack of expertise, or consult with some
> honest, qualified scientists who can keep him from making obvious blunders
> in these areas.
>
> Succinctly put, as Christians, either we should get our facts right (as he
> does not), or pay closer attention to those who do make every effort to
> research qualified sources and report honestly.
>
> Dick Fischer - Genesis Proclaimed Association
> Finding Harmony in Bible, Science, and History
> www.genesisproclaimed.org

> 'Drsyme" wrote:
>
> I send Hugh Ross much more than emails of support, I send
> him money too.
>
> Good. Maybe he'll answer a question for you that you can pass to this
> group. Why is it that the professional, scholarly, scientific
> expertise that he applies meticulously to astrophysics are totally
> abandoned when he ventures into biology, genetics and anthropology?
> If he professes no expertise in these sciences, that's fine, why
> doesn't he just say that and keep his mouth shut?
>
> Because he does have genuine scientific credentials in the area of
> astrophysics, it is often overlooked that he has no training in the
> other sciences. But nevertheless, he continues to comment in the
> other areas of science as if his training in astrophysics qualifies
> him. Why doesn't he either opt out from making comments in those
> fields of science where he has continually demonstrated his lack of
> expertise, or consult with some honest, qualified scientists who can
> keep him from making obvious blunders in these areas.
>
> Succinctly put, as Christians, either we should get our facts right
> (as he does not), or pay closer attention to those who do make every
> effort to research qualified sources and report honestly.

& I would add that I don't know whether or not he has any training in biblical studies
&/or theology. I know that this is a somewhat sensitive point, since many protestants
think that the priesthood of all believers means that any Christian can open an English
translation of the Bible and interpret scripture with as much authority as a Christian
who does have some training in these areas. It doesn't.

                                                Shalom,
                                                George

George L. Murphy
gmurphy@raex.com