Re: Essay about errancy

From: Roger G. Olson <rogero@saintjoe.edu>
Date: Mon Feb 02 2004 - 16:54:51 EST

Josh,

Responding to the following snippet:

"Biblical inerrancy is the belief that the Bible is the inspired word of
God. This means that espousers of Biblical inerrancy believe that the
Bible and all of its words in its original languages were inspired
directly by the will of God,..."

I don't accept the equivalence of "inspiration" with "inerrancy". This
seems to be the crux of your dilemma. Maybe Matthew embellished the
story, that doesn't really bother me. I don't see how this affects the
historicity of the resurrection of Christ -- the divine Hope of all
Christians.

I'm not a qualified apologist, so I don't believe I can "defend" this to
the infidel.org folks, nor do I wish to. And, I'm not "agreeing to
disagree" as per a common aphorism. :-)

Roger

--
Roger G. Olson, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Mathematics and Environmental Science