Re: A Peace Proposal

From: Roger G. Olson <rogero@saintjoe.edu>
Date: Sun Feb 01 2004 - 12:31:06 EST

I don't want to pile on here, but I have a personal anecdote regarding the
intentional deception of a YEC apologist. Some Sunday evening in winter
1990, a physics prof. from a (quite fundamentalist) Christian college
spoke to our church. He was a higher-up in the CRC (Creation Research
Society), but I'll withhold his name here for now out of respect. He
presented a slide show and pushed the YEC message of a literal
interpretation of bible being consistent with true science. However, one
of slides was of the Paluxy beds (dinosaur and supposed human footprints
together). During the Q&A, he was called on this by an audience member
who pointed out that this had been shown to be an incorrect interpretation
-- that in fact the "human" footprints were really an incomplete dino
print. The speaker, hem and hawed, had to agree with the questioner, then
finally responded that "well, but there's plenty of other evidence for the
'biblical' view (even if the Paluxy stuff was incorrect)." I thought at
the time this was pretty slimy -- he thought he could put one over on an
audience of just plain church folk.

At that time I still my doubts about origins. I really WANTED the ye
"biblical" approach to be true -- it sure is a lot "easier" to swallow for
those like me who were brought up in a fundamentalist/evangelical
tradition. But this incident stuck in my mind, and it was certainly
disturbing -- kinda like hearing a preacher cuss. :-)

BTW, the church was an Evangelical Free Church, which is not known to be
overly fundamentalist -- more mainstream evangelical.
Just my 2c.

Roger

--
Roger G. Olson, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Mathematics and Environmental Science