Re: Racism and YEC (WAS:Four items of possible controversy)

From: Sarah Berel-Harrop (sec@hal-pc.org)
Date: Wed Nov 19 2003 - 14:43:35 EST

    On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 13:44:54 -0500
      "Ted Davis" <TDavis@messiah.edu> wrote:

    >Ted replies: Rich, I'm not trying to be difficult or to insult you.
    > I've
    >done my best to explain my point, if you don't see it, then perhaps I
    >haven't explained it carefully enough. But I don't know how to be
    >clearer.
    >Perhaps someone else can help here? I have nothing further to say,
    >myself.

    Ted,

    I guess my concern is that you appear to be describing the racism
    of the scientists, which is fair enough, and then placing creationists
    as a foil (Wm Jennings Bryan, for example). Is this a complete
    picture? Were the creationists of that time in lock-step
    progressive and non-racist? What years are you talking about?
    If you are in the first quarter of the twentieth century, I
    don't see how you can exclude the Klan, for example. The
    point being that given a pervasively racist society, people
    holding different worldviews may come to the same conclusions
    about race but using different rationales. You will have
    exceptions, and we all would hope that the exceptions will
    eventually become the rule. It could be I misunderstand what
    you are trying to say with your book.

    I think you this relates as well to your comment about
    'social darwinism' being a reason for modern creationist
    rejection of evolution. This is a bit curious. I realize
    there is that perception, but most creationists (social
    conservatives) also put an extraordinary amount of faith
    in laissez-faire free-marketism, some to such a degree
    that it is quite similar to social darwinism. They
    certainly cannot be said to reject Smith's mechanisms
    as they relate to the economy, possibly I misread that
    post as well.