RE: Declining water and oil

From: Roger G. Olson (rogero@saintjoe.edu)
Date: Thu Nov 13 2003 - 21:00:42 EST

    Thanks for the reply, fellas!

    I guess my main point was that the article and abstract specifically
    mentioned "plant matter", which apparently is a minor component of
    the organic input to the biomass of petroleum formation. No big deal,
    I understand the analogy concept -- the equivalent amount of modern plant
    matter -- trees, grass, soybeans, etc. But, the article is technically
    misleading -- petroleum is of a shallow marine origin. Actually, the
    author of this article should have made the even stronger point that
    existing petroleum deposits would require much more than the (whatever
    multiplier was mentioned) amount of photic marine organisms to produce
    the petroleum that we're gulping (especially us 'mericans) at an obscenely
    fast pace.

    I hope this is not just a niggling point -- I like *technical* correctness,
    not just rhetorical correctness (or should I say *political* correctness
    -- eewwww!).

    Thanks again!

    Roger

    --
    Roger G. Olson, Ph.D.
    Associate Professor of Mathematics and Environmental Science