Sunspots and global warming?

From: Glenn Morton (glennmorton@entouch.net)
Date: Sun Nov 09 2003 - 14:31:25 EST

    An item in this week's New Scientist caught my eye. It says:

    "The sun is more active now than it has been for a millennium. The
    realisation which comes from a reconstruction of sunspots stretching back
    1150 years, comes just as the sun has thrown a minor tantrum. Last week, a
    giant plume of material burst out from our star's surface and streamed into
    space, sparking wrnings of an impending geomagnetic storm." Jenny HOgan,
    "Hyperactive Sun Comes out in Spots," New Scientist, Nov. 1-7, 2003, p. 17

    It made me do some searching through my radiative heat transfer files from
    about 12 years ago because I recalled that there was a relationship between
    sunspot number and solar output. I don't know what the thoughts are today
    in that community about the relationship I recall, but here is what the
    relationship is:

    Irradiance = 1366.81 + 1366.81 * (0.078+0.0146 * Rz) Watts/m^2

    Where Rz is the sunspot number. This is from Foukal and J. Lean, "An
    Empirical Model of Total Solar Irradiance Variation Between 1874 and 1988,"
    Science 247(1990):556-559. This article used satellite irradiance to do
    their regression.

    The thinking was similar in a 1992 article by Judith Lean, Andrew Skumanich
    and Oran White, "Estimating the Sun's Radiative Output During the Maunder
    Minimum," Geophysical REsearch Letters, 19(1992):15:1591-1594. They estimate
    a .2% increase in solar radiation since the Maunder Minimum, a time in the
    late 1600s and early 1700s when there was no sunspot cycle. During that time
    (which was after the invention of the telescope) the appearance of a sunspot
    was big news.

    Frits-Christensen and Lassen, Science 254(1991):698-700 suggests that short
    solar cycles correspond with higher activity and irradiance.

    The New Scientist article concludes:
    "The findings may stoke the controversy over the contribution of the sun to
    global warming." Ibid. p. 17

    I would think so. But then, I am about 10 years behind in this area.