Re: Kirk Durston on information theory

From: Preston Garrison (garrisonp@uthscsa.edu)
Date: Fri Nov 07 2003 - 20:31:04 EST

    >This hypothesis yields two falsifiable predictions: a) natural processes
    >will never be observed to produce more than 70 bits of information,
    >and b) any configuration or sequence that is actually observed to be
    >produced that contains more than 70 bits, will always be produced by
    >an intelligent agent.

    Please explain exactly how this could be falsified. If someone says,
    "look at all these natural proteins which to all appearances
    developed gradually during evolution" you will say, "they contain
    over 70 bits of CSI, therefore they must be designed." If we could
    directly observe that they came about by a string of individual
    mutations, you could still say, "it contains 70 bits of CSI,
    therefore God was directing each mutation and its fixation along the
    way."

    So what could possibly count as falsification?

    Preston G.

    Preston Garrison, Ph.D.
    Instructor
    UTHSCSA
    Biochem. Dept. MSC 7760 Insert the usual disclaimers here.
    7703 Floyd Curl Dr.
    San Antonio, TX 78229-3900
    garrisonp@uthscsa.edu
    210-567-3702