On the Bible numbers discussion (from the list manager)

From: Terry M. Gray (grayt@lamar.colostate.edu)
Date: Fri Nov 07 2003 - 01:21:31 EST

    Hi everyone,

    In the interest of the health of the list, may I suggest that all
    sides on the issue of Bible numbers and related topics STOP the
    unhelpful name calling. If it is your opinion that those who promote
    such views are pompous fools, either keep it to yourself or engage in
    such criticism in private messages. If it is your opinion that those
    who reject such views are unregenerates, blind to the clear message
    of God, either keep it to yourself or engage in such criticism in
    private messages. I don't think it's particularly becoming to this
    forum to have the kind of disrespectful dialog that has been taking
    place.

    I will suggest again to Vernon and Richard that we know your ideas
    and we know where they are on the web. The general silent (and
    sometimes disrespectful) response that you often receive means that
    as a whole this list is not interested in discussing these matters. I
    will also suggest that they are only marginally related to the
    faith-science focus of this list. (Ask yourself, "How many papers
    have been published in recent faith-science journals on this topic?")

    I suggest that you engage in private discussion with those interested
    in these topics OR start a discussion group of your own at
    yahoogroups.com. You are welcome to use the ASA list to invite folks
    to that discussion from time to time. You are also welcome to notify
    us of any new information available at your web sites.

    I would suggest to the rest of the group that it is best just to
    ignore these posts if the only response you can have is one of ire or
    ridicule. There do seem to be folks genuinely interested in pursuing
    these discussions, although my observation is that they seem to be
    few in number on the ASA list. As a general rule, if the number of
    participants in any discussion is very small (say 2), then it may be
    best to take that discussion off-line and report back with a summary
    if any resolution comes about.

    Our goal on the ASA list is to have reasonably high level scholarly
    discussion. Recently, I've been reminded of playground shouting
    matches. Let's get back on track--we want faith-science discussions.
    Ideally, this isn't an "anything goes" discussion. We don't want just
    science and we don't want just theology. We want discussion that
    relates the two. Ask yourself before posting, "Is this on topic?" or
    "Am I throwing out something that I think is interesting that I'd
    like to see us talk about that has little to do with the
    faith-science discussion?"

    As you know, I don't really relish the job of squashing conversation
    on this list, but it does seem to become necessary from time to time.

    Terry M. Gray
    List Manager

    --
    Fort Collins, Colorado  80523