Re: Fibbonacci and other mathematical patterns in shells

From: Michael Roberts (michael.andrea.r@ukonline.co.uk)
Date: Tue Aug 12 2003 - 16:12:44 EDT

    Thanks for this, I could visualize the coiling and half remembered the
    maths.
    Perhaps one can also consider coastal forms as fractals but one needs to be
    good at maths and geomorphology.
    What concerns me is the willingness of people with mathematical knowledge
    who devise theoretical algorithms without the actual experience of dealing
    with life forms. This is where IDers fall down and need to get into serious
    and detailed study of forms, taking full note of their date and historical
    order. But then ID regards the age of the earth and thus all geological ages
    as irrelevant to the argument.
    David will be able to give more examples of maths applied to biological
    forms, but I would prefer to, leave it to someone who knows what he is
    talking about.
    I cant help comparing the theoretical calculations, algorithms (which mean
    nothing to me) and mathematical models of ID to the perfect celestial
    spheres of pre-Copernican astronomy. The trouble is God or nature never does
    what we think OUGHT to have happened.
    Whoops! I've done it again.

    Michael