25 Rules of civility

From: John W Burgeson (jwburgeson@juno.com)
Date: Mon Nov 03 2003 - 01:11:39 EST

    I finished reading the little paperback on "25 rules of civility." Here
    are my notes:

    Choosing Civility, The Twenty-five Rules of Considerate Conduct, by P. M.
    Forni, 2002. 185 pages, notes.

    The book CIVILITY by Stephen Carter is a better book in many ways. This
    one is sometimes a little shallow. None the less, it has value and is
    recommended. The 25 rules, for example, are a good read, one a night, at
    bedtime.

    Here are the rules. Each has a few pages of discussion:

     1 Pay attention
     2 Acknowledge others
     3 Think the best
     4 Listen
     5 Be inclusive
     6 Speak kindly
     7 Don't speak ill
     8 Accept and give praise
     9 Respect even a subtle “no”
    10 Respect others’ opinions
    11 Mind your body
    12 Be agreeable
    13 Keep it down (rediscover quietness)
    14 Respect other peoples’ time
    15 Respect other peoples’ space
    16 Apologize earnestly
    17 Assert yourself
    18 Avoid personal questions
    19 Care for your guests
    20 Be a considerate guest
    21 Think twice before asking for favors
    22 Refrain from idle complaints
    23 Accept and give constructive criticism
    25 Don't shift responsibility or blame

    Two messages of our culture are dangerous:

    1 You can achieve anything if you try hard enough
    2 What matters in life is to win

    Substitute:

    1 Doing your best is OK
    2 Playing the game well is what matters most (Cubs fans – are you
    listening?)

    Burgy

    www.burgy.50megs.com

    Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!