RE: Opposing Evoultionary Theory

From: Glenn Morton (glennmorton@entouch.net)
Date: Mon Sep 29 2003 - 06:57:16 EDT

    Bill Wrote:

> [...]

    All one has to do is go look in the literature rather than merely pose
    questions.
    some of the simpler Volvoceans use somatic cells for reproduction. But with
    the *Volvox*

            In *Volvox*, almost all the cells are somatic, and very few of the cells
    are able to produce new individuals. In some species of Volvox,
    reproductive cells, as in Pleodorina, are derived from cells that originally
    look and function like somatic cells before the enlarge and divide to form
    new progeny. However, in other members of the genus, such as V. carteri,
    there is a complete division of labor; the reproductive cells that will
    create the next generation are set aside during the division of the
    reproductive cells that are forming the new individual. The reproductive
    cells never develop functional flagella and never contribute to motility or
    other somatic functions of the individual; they are entirely specialized for
    reproduction. Thus, although the simpler Volvocaceans may be thought of as
    colonial organisms (because each cell is capable of independent existence
    and of perpetuating the species), in V. carteri we have a truly
    multicellular organism with two distinct and independent cell types (somatic
    and reproductive), both of which are required for the perpetuation of the
    species. Although not all animals set aside the reproductive cells from the
    somatic cells (plants hardly ever do), this separation of germ
    (reproductive) cells from somatic cells early in development is
    characteristic of many animal phyla and will be discussed in more detail in
    Chapter 7."~Scott F. Gilbert, Developmental Biology (Sunderland: Sinauer
    Assoc. Inc., 1991), p. 18

    But this illustrates how sex originated.