Re: Darwinian and non-Darwinian (was Re: RFEP & ID)

From: Walter Hicks (wallyshoes@mindspring.com)
Date: Sun Sep 28 2003 - 22:45:02 EDT

    Jay Willingham wrote:

    > I believe the Bible to be inerrant and our perceptions of its errors to be
    > error.

    Is it possible to have an interpretation that is other than 100% literal in your
    estimation? The concept of "inerrancy" is great until people use the Old
    Testament as a science text book instead of a pointer to Jesus Christ (IMO).

    > I believe we each have to respond to the spirit as we are led through study
    > and prayer and experience.

    Agreed

    > I also believe the references to ID and YEC folks on this list has been a
    > bit extreme.

    Agreed

    > I was simply responding to those who denigrate the YEC position as
    > "nonsense" by asking for examples of this claimed nonsense. these "lies"

    The problem is that some things that are presented (by ICR) as science are
    completely false. I will give you one example. Morris (Founder of ICR) presents
    entropy as a reason that evolution cannot happen. In taking that position, he
    teaches things about entropy that simply are not true. In fact, a laboratory
    experiment can demonstrate it. I can see why some would call that a lie in that
    Morris is supposedly a scientist who understand physical laws. To cite an
    example, Morris says:

    " The statement in integral form, namely that the entropy in an isolated
    system cannot decrease, can be replaced by its corollary in differential form,
    which asserts that the
          quantity of entropy generated locally cannot he negative irrespective of
    whether the system is isolated or not, and irrespective of whether the process
    under consideration is
          irreversible or not."

    http://www.icr.org/pubs/imp/imp-141.htm

    That is just plain incorrect. It is one thing to oppose evolution. It is quite
    anther thing to fabricate false physical laws to support the notion. This is, I
    think, the most blatant and it is repeated in many forums. It may not be a lie
    but it certainly is a falsehood.

    The change in entropy is simply given by dS=dQ/T, where T is the absolute
    temperature (always positive), Q is heat and S is entropy.

    http://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/K-12/airplane/entropy.html

    Thus the entropy of any object decreases whenever heat is removed from it (by an
    external source of energy) Therefore air conditioners work and the entropy of
    the room decreases. If Morris were correct, then the notion of an air
    conditioner (or a heat pump or a refrigerator) would be nonsense.

    > lead us astray or deceive us in our assumptions about origins and that
    > therefore YEC is nonsense. This I can disagree with because I believe it is
    > the height of pride to think we can figure everything God has done out until
    > he is ready to reveal it. I have repeated this position many times.

    That is one position I agree with and have said so.

    > And Walt, I cannot remember whether you said YEC proponents were liars, and
    > I have no problem understanding how you can posit evolution as being the
    > hand of God over billions of years. I simply no longer believe that,
    > although I did at one time. As we all have said from time to time, we need
    > not fight over how many angels can dance on the head of a pin or whether
    > Jesus owned the clothes he wore. Who really cares. I just do not like the
    > tone we have taken with ID and YEC.

    I'll second it although I can't seem to grasp ID. I read a book called "Signs of
    Intelligence" with articles by 15 proponents. I learned that they hate
    "Darwinism" but the science eludes me.

    > Yep, puny man, that's me.

    "Puny man" was _your_ descriptor of others. Is that better than a liar?

    Walt

    --
    Walt Hicks <wallyshoes@mindspring.com>