Re: Darwinian and non-Darwinian (was Re: RFEP & ID)

From: Jay Willingham (jaywillingham@cfl.rr.com)
Date: Sun Sep 28 2003 - 21:47:22 EDT

    I believe the Bible to be inerrant and our perceptions of its errors to be
    error.

    I believe we each have to respond to the spirit as we are led through study
    and prayer and experience.

    I also believe the references to ID and YEC folks on this list has been a
    bit extreme.

    I was simply responding to those who denigrate the YEC position as
    "nonsense" by asking for examples of this claimed nonsense. these "lies".

    Thus far I have gotten two concrete responses.

    One was that YEC folks often believe that God no longer orders the universe
    and I agree that seems to me to be nonsensical.

    Another had to do with the fragmentary evidence surrounding flagella. On
    this subject I can see how reasonable folks can differ.

    I was looking for other YEC and ID positions that are, according to many of
    the members of this list "nonsensical", as "lies".

    lead us astray or deceive us in our assumptions about origins and that
    therefore YEC is nonsense. This I can disagree with because I believe it is
    the height of pride to think we can figure everything God has done out until
    he is ready to reveal it. I have repeated this position many times.

    And Walt, I cannot remember whether you said YEC proponents were liars, and
    I have no problem understanding how you can posit evolution as being the
    hand of God over billions of years. I simply no longer believe that,
    although I did at one time. As we all have said from time to time, we need
    not fight over how many angels can dance on the head of a pin or whether
    Jesus owned the clothes he wore. Who really cares. I just do not like the
    tone we have taken with ID and YEC.

    Yep, puny man, that's me.

    Jay Willingham