Re: please stop

From: D. F. Siemens, Jr. (dfsiemensjr@juno.com)
Date: Fri Sep 26 2003 - 22:54:45 EDT

    Let's see. One person makes a list once, or everybody translates every
    acronym once in every post in which it's used. The former requires less
    total work; the latter, less work only for the person who doesn't want to
    look anything up. Rich's claim that the latter is standard practice is
    not what I have found. Abbreviations of matters that are supposed to be
    familiar to a specialty are often not spelled out. I encounter this
    repeatedly as I try to understand articles in /Science/. So maybe I
    should join the group and demand expansion: every term not listed in
    /Thorndike Century Junior Dictionary/ (used in elementary schools) must
    be defined when it is used. After all, scripture says, "comfort the
    feebleminded, support the weak" (I Thessalonians 5:14).
    Dave