Re: RFEP & ID

From: Steve Petermann (steve@spetermann.org)
Date: Fri Sep 26 2003 - 09:17:02 EDT

    David wrote:
    > As an illustration of the problems of concluding irreducible complexity,
    take the citric acid cycle. It is a multistep process requiring all its
    parts to function as it does. However, some bacteria have one half of the
    cycle functioning on its own and the other half functioning on its own.
    Thus, while not being the citric acid cycle, each part is a useful and
    functional whole. Thus, the citric acid cycle passes the criterion of
    requiring all its parts to work, yet it is easily assembled from simpler,
    useful components.

    True the citric process could have evolved from the two other units.
    However, that in and of itself does not rule out a designer. It would be
    unreasonable to say a designer couldn't use any and all raw materials
    available to create something new.

    Seems to me, in much of the debate too much weight has been put on the
    technical meanings of terms "irreducible complexity" and "specified
    complexity". Both these terms are really symbols for the question of
    probability. They both point to the real question, can unintelligent forces
    account for the complexity we see. Seems to me the jury is still out.
    Granted the Darwinians have the edge because of past validation in simple
    organisms, until it can do the hard science and describe a plausible
    evolutionary path to some complex systems, it can't make a firm assertion at
    completeness.

    Steve Petermann