Re: Report on the YEC seminar in Durango, 9-2003

From: allenroy (allenroy@peoplepc.com)
Date: Wed Sep 24 2003 - 19:47:41 EDT

    Glenn Morton wrote:

    > Sorry, Josh, but given the above answer, you really don't understand
    > turbulent flow do you. If you find that unconvincing, the only thing to try
    > to do is educate you about Stokes law, Reynolds numbers and other fluid flow
    > information. By indicating that you don't find this convincing, you are
    > saying that you could take a jar of multi-colored sand grains, all of the
    > same density and size, fill the jar with water, shake and have each color
    > separate out. If you believe that, if a YEC believes that, then I feel sorry
    > for you, that is what then.

    Glenn, I did an interesting experiment. I took 3 jars and put different amounts
    of the same soil sample in each jar -- 1) ~1/16 of the volume, 2) ~1/4 of the
    volume and 3) ~1/3 of the volume. Then I filled the rest of each jar with
    water. I shook up each jar and then set them down. Jar's 1 and 2 did what I
    expected, the sediment slowly settled out of the water according to density and
    size by Stokes Law. The layer of sediment slowly accumulated from the bottom up
    as the particles settled out. However, Jar 3 behaved completely different.
    When all the sediment got mixed up it formed mass such that when the jar was set
    down the entire mass came to a sudden stop on the bottom nearly filling the jar
    to the top. Then the mass slowly shrank as water seeped up out of it.

    So, what happened to Stoke's Law in the 3rd Jar? The soil particles did not
    slowly settle out of the water, but the water slowly seeped up out of the muddy
    mass. Does the ratio of soil particles per unit of water make a difference?
    Does Stoke's Law work all the time, or only for small ratios of soil particles
    per unit of water? Is there a difference between having water with soil in it
    or soil with water in it? Does mud behave differently than water? Frankly, I
    believe so. When a catastrophist interprets a layer of clay as being laid down
    in a short time, they imagine the clay being a thick slurry rather than a few
    particles of clay carried in 10 feet of water.

    allen