Re: Questions to Allen Roy

From: Don Winterstein (dfwinterstein@msn.com)
Date: Tue Sep 23 2003 - 05:27:34 EDT

    Walter Hicks wrote in part:

    "...It is perfectly possible for [God] to
    start the works 6000 years ago with the a background simulation already in
    place. That is basically what some think the Bible says that he did. This
    would not negate anything that you ever said about finding your fossils and oil
    and whatnot.

    "Now this would not fit your preconceived notions of God so you reject by saying
    it makes God a liar. "

    God in principle could have created a young earth to look indistinguishable from an old earth, but there is merit to Glenn's point that God would be lying if he did so. Lots of apparent old-earth features such as thick layers of soil, light from distant stars, mature trees, etc., etc., would be acceptable and good to make the place "natural" and livable, and God would not be lying were he to provide such basics. However, as soon as God would do by fiat anything like form sedimentary rock miles thick with well-ordered arrays of fossils, he would be lying. The rocks can be read like history books, and such rocks would be telling us things happened that did not really happen. Lies, pure and simple. We may not know much about God's nature, but we can tell a liar when we see the evidence.

    Don