Re: Creationists Running for School Board

From: Denyse O'Leary (oleary@sympatico.ca)
Date: Mon Sep 22 2003 - 18:08:09 EDT

    Brian Harper wrote:
    > At 03:02 PM 9/22/2003 -0400, Dick Fischer wrote:
    >
    >> Now its in my backyard. What do you guys think about tagging the
    >> movement: "intelligent design creationism"? Fair or unfair?

    Not fair. It's on the level of "scare quotes."

    The rule for fair writing that I was taught is this: When you have
    something to say, SAY it.

    If you think that intelligent design is really creationism, say that and
    defend it.

    Bear in mind that, these days, most people assume that "creationism"
    means "young earth creationism."

    If you adopt the strategy you are proposing, an alert reporter might ask
    you how you know that intelligent design is the same thing as (young
    earth) creationism, and then you would have to backtrack. It wouldn't be
    a good sound bite.

    Denyse O'Leary

    --
    To see what's new in faith and science issues, go to www.designorchance.com
    My next book, By Design or By Chance?: The Growing Controversy Over the

    To order, call Castle Quay, 1-800-265-6397, fax 519-748-9835, or visit www.afcanada.com (CDN $19.95 or US$14.95).

    Denyse O'Leary 14 Latimer Avenue Toronto, Ontario, CANADA M5N 2L8 Tel: 416 485-2392/Fax: 416 485-9665 oleary@sympatico.ca www.denyseoleary.com