Re: Questions to Allen Roy

From: Walter Hicks (wallyshoes@mindspring.com)
Date: Sun Sep 21 2003 - 22:53:40 EDT

    Let me be clear, Sarah.

    I mention my daughter specifically to personalize it. I really do resent
    generalizations like Glenn's. To demonize YECs is to lower yourself to the level
    they are portrayed to represent.

    I am not referring to my daughter when I mention people who basically believe in
    a Young Earth outlook. They seem to represent most (but not all) of the
    parishioners in my church -- and they do NOT have the hostile attitude that most
    on this list portray as the norm for a belief in a literal Bible. They were
    simply raised on the Bible and take those words at face value. Popular
    literature portrays science as opposed to Christianity, so what can you expect?
    Expect YECs to embrace evolution when the Prophet is Dawkins? Even with that, my
    views are respected.

    My church has a web site that lists various "resources". I have been working for
    some time to get ASA listed and it is nearly a "done deal". My hope is that they
    will see intelligent discussion that makes them feel like they are respected as
    Christians -- and not a lot of criticism that makes them feel that they are
    looked upon as bunch of illiterate fools. The material on the ASA site is
    generally good.

    It is the discussions on this list that belittle people. My hope is (should the
    site be listed) that nobody hears what I have been hearing. In fact, if I "had
    my druthers', Terry would can any posts of this nature. I would love to see only
    intelligent and POLITE discussion, rather that what has been posted lately.

    The Christian message is for all folk. If they happen to accept what some call a
    "mother goose" outlook and still know the Lord, then that it is acceptable in my
    eyes -- as long as they are more tolerant of scientists than scientists here
    are tolerant of them.

    When ASA members learn to present the truth of science in a fashion that conveys
    the points without being abusive and in a manner that can be readily understood,
    then progress might be made. What I see on this list does meet the mail. IMO

    Maybe I was wrong. Perhaps ASA is for scientists only and I erred in asking
    that it be listed on the Church's web site. If anyone thinks so, let me know and
    I can reverse the process.

    Walt